Sunday, October 8, 2017

I Want to Target My Belly Fat First

My fitness journey began in January of 2016.   When I first started working with Ryan, we took starting measurements.  My waist was 52".  I'll let that sink in a minute.

In order to use the locker room at Gold's gym, you have to walk by an entire wall of mirrors (or so it seems).  To my right were the mirrors.  To my left was this poster of this girl and her before/after photos.  It didn't even seem like the same person.  The girl was/is a trainer and I would stare at her and then stare at the photos.  But then I would see myself in the mirror (thank you GG) and YIKES, I made my very first goal.  I want to lead with my chest - not my stomach!!!!!  (and was it even possible to lose weight like the girl in the poster?)

(The picture in the poster.)  Tina's amazing transformation
(over time - not overnight.)
First of all, I did NOT believe Ryan would be able to help me.  Let's just get that out there right now.   I had ZERO faith or confidence.  But sure as shit every week, I was seeing weight loss.  So after about the third week, I said (boldly I might add) "Ryan.  I want to target my belly fat.  I want to lose weight there first."  He just looked at me and said rather matter-of-factly, "We don't decide where the fat is going to disappear from first.  Every body is different."   Well, geeze, why don't you just burst my bubble?

I understand completely the desire to "target" a troublesome part of our body, but the truth is that's not available.  However, within the first 12 weeks of weight loss, I reached that first goal where I was no longer "leading" with my stomach.  All together I have lost a "ruler" off my stomach (12 inches).  But I have much more to go.

12 week challenge measurements - Waist 52 to 43
One of my least satisfying statements that I am told nearly every week by my trainer is "Slow and steady wins the race."  It happened again today.  It can be frustrating to me that others lose weight faster than me (Like way faster.)  It gets to the point where I think something may be wrong with me.  But you know several things are wrong with me (underactive thyroid, rheumatoid arthritis, tendonitis....)  What really helps me is the simple children's story of "The Tortoise and the Hare," which he reminds me of often too.

It may take me longer, but I am going to get there and I am going to stay there.  When I "get there," will my belly be flat?  I don't know.  I don't think I have the genetics for that to happen, but we will see.  Besides I housed three kids in that belly.  I think it's ok if it doesn't quite look the same afterwards.  I'll take the kids any day over the belly.

Ben in my Belly - 8.5 months pregnant (for the third time.)
So if you too want to "target your belly fat," just begin.  Get started.  Make healthy choices with your food, start moving and exercising.  Watch your body change and give it time and your belly will diminish also!

No comments:

Post a Comment