Thursday, August 25, 2016

Swimming Again - Western Colorado Senior Games




What I just accomplished is something I have wanted to do ever since we moved to Grand Junction in August of 2003.  However I had a "weight number" I wanted to be, before putting on a swim suit and getting in the water in front of other people.  Today I am still 75 pounds away from that "weight number," but I did it anyway.  Me swimming the 500 free today is due in a very large part to a group of people that a year ago I didn't even know.  These are trainers and friends that I have met while on my fitness journey.  They do not see me as a number on a scale.  They daily help me paint a better picture of myself in my own mind.  They instill confidence in me where once there was no confidence whatsoever.



The goggles stayed on!
Yes I have a ways to go still, but I am focusing on how far I have come.  I need to do that.  I need to daily change the image I hold of myself.



So today, after 34 years of not swimming for competition, I swam the 500 free.  I swam the "time" I set as a goal for myself.  And yes it was very hard, and yes I wanted to quit, but I didn't.  I am humbled by those who took time out of their morning to come to the pool to watch me.  I am so thankful for you all.  And I'm thankful for all of you who couldn't make it, but encouraged me along the way.


6 comments:

  1. Awesome Patty...way to go girl! Dig deep, remember you've always been a champion! I'm so proud of you! *♡*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristy. It feels good to be back in the water. We had fun times growing up swimming.

      Delete
  2. You are amazing Patty. Good job. Your story is very inspiring to many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the coolest thing! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Toni! Thanks for always supporting and believing in me.

      Delete