Monday, August 8, 2016

Relax - August 8, 2016

Those of you who know me will probably get a laugh out of hearing that the trainers tell me to "relax."  I have been a planner/control freak for as long as I can remember.  When Jessica was 3 years old, I had picture schedules for her so she knew what her day would be like.  Get up, get dressed, eat breakfast, brush teeth, play at playground, etc..  all in pictures.  I also think Dale Carnegie wrote "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" knowing that I would one day need that information.

Anyway, my last post was July 31.  Every Monday is weigh in day for me and last Monday, August 1 I had gained 1/2 pound.  I was told this would happen, but it didn't make it any easier to take.  And on top of that, I had pulled a muscle in my back Friday evening, July 29.  I was doing pretty well on Monday, but it tightened up again on Tuesday morning.  So the trainer basically benched me until it was 100%.

Although my head knows that is the right decision, I still get angry.  Because in my mind I'm not staying on my carefully planned course for my life.  So since I couldn't go to the gym, I decided to go for a walk in the afternoons (a 4 mile walk.)  I did this Tuesday afternoon and again Wednesday afternoon.  Unfortunately after Wednesday afternoon, my feet and knee hurt and my ankle had swollen.  Getting mad never benefits you.

Long story short, I stopped the walking, I stopped the weight lifting, and I asked Ryan for a sit down.  We met on Thursday and I was able to relay my worries and he was able to "talk me down" if you will.  I came away from that meeting feeling more sure that I would eventually reach my goal, then I had ever felt before.  I mentally removed the time table and I felt like a huge weight had been lifted.

I went back to the gym for a Friday afternoon workout and I have to say that I felt great because I had rested my body and not overdone it.  Usually on Friday afternoons, I am exhausted during the workout.  That's when my mind begins to "believe" what they are telling me about exercising less, eating more, and RELAX.

On Saturday, the family went out to play pool.  It's something we enjoy doing.  I decided that I was going to have a beer.  I hadn't had a drink since the Alaska cruise, but I was "relaxing," remember? We are not big drinkers, but at times I do enjoy a drink.

This is me - relaxing!
 On Sunday, I went to the gym to swim.  After my swim, Kasey (he works behind the desk) made me a shake and just made my day with his writing on my cup.  I try to take the time to get to know the workers and Kasey has quite the back story.  He's always got a smile on his face and he just made my day.  This kind of fits in with my last post about always be humble and kind.

Better than a Starbucks barista!
From the swim I went out to breakfast with people in our Bible fellowship.  There one of the ladies was telling me she and her daughter were ready to begin their fitness journey.  So I took her back to Golds to talk to Danielle and find out more information about the Next Level Performance program.  I stepped away for a moment and Danielle said some pretty awesome things about me to my friend.  My friend was sure to tell me.  So thanks, Danielle!

That evening since our daughter was home for one week we went out to dinner at Texas Roadhouse. Do you see the pattern - I'm RELAXING.  I made good choices for supper, but dang if that waiter didn't keep putting the bread basket in front of me.  I finally said, "Dang that bread smells great."  This is what my normally very quiet son said to me.  

I did NOT come over to the dark side.

So anyway, fast forward to this morning- a Monday - a weigh in day.  My weight was down 2 pounds and this happened!







I may say this too much, but I really want to thank Ryan and Mana for all their help in obtaining this goal and also for how they are re-educating me about as Mana put it "Don't let the scale rule your life."



1 comment:

  1. Great post Patty! I used to let the scale "rule my life" many years ago, but I now believe that I am worth so much more than the number on the scale. You continue to inspire me and I know I will start going to the gym again, even if it is just to do the exercises my physical therapist gives me. I need to make it a daily habit and I will!

    ReplyDelete